Fleas are the most annoying pest that could possibly trouble your dogs. It´s most prevalent during the late summer and autumn.
Fleas breed in dark dirty places such as in carpets, cracks, corners, heaps of waste, etc. They lay eggs which subsequently hatched to become their youngs. They´re found on all parts of the body, but more numerously where the hair is dense. You´ll see great nests of fleas on badly infected dogs containing large quantities of black excretion which are the eggs.
Growing up with dogs I experienced being troubled myself whenever one of our beloved doggies get infected. They love playing and sleeping on piles of pulverized woods in my dad´s furniture shop which was only adjacent to our house. I remember being bitten with fleas usually on my legs. The bites were very itchy and they left large dark spots on my skin.
Coarse dogs are less badly affected by fleas than the finer breeds. If the dog is healthy no trouble may arise from them, except the annoyance of continual scratching. However, when the skin is sensitive, it may lead to eczema.
The skin becomes reddened from scratching, and wounds are inflicted by the nails and teeth. The lesions may spread out to its entire body.
Want to know the underlying causes of your dog’s health problems that your vet doesn’t even know about? Read Heal Your Dog Naturally.
Getting Rid of Fleas on Dogs
Killing fleas is an easy task, but keeping the dog free of them is another story. The simplest remedy is using Capstar Flea Treatment Dog. This pill kills the flea within 24 hours. You may want your dog to take the pill for three days and then shift to another flea treatment that works for prevention.
If you´re looking for a prevention program to keep your dog free of fleas, learn how to protect your pet from fleas.
It may help to this over a sheet or newspaper in order to collect the fleas as they drop off and then destroy them by burning the newspaper or boiling the sheet.
Little City Dogs CHICKEN FLAVORED Flea Killer Capsules are designed for cats and small dogs. They´re both effective and safe. LCD Flea Killer capsules will kill all the adult fleas on your dogs while the eggs fall off your pet and onto the floor where they develop into larvae and pupae. Kill them with Little City Dogs KILLER DUST.
Pearson’s Creolin or Lysol may be used in the bath water, or a tablespoonful of the disinfectant may be added to a quart of water and the solution used to saturate the hair just prior to the bath.
Is your home life being affected by barking whining, crying or destructive behavior from your dog? Check out the.music designed for dogs to help with anxiety problems.
A mixture made by adding a tablespoonful of kerosene to a pint of milk or thick soapy water will make for a cheaper alternative and can be used in similar manner, saturating the hair before bath. Repeat the treatment often until it works.
Best Flea and Ticks Shampoo for Dogs
1. Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor for Dogs and Cats. This is the best product in the market to combat flea and ticks on dogs so far.
However, if you´re going to use this on cats, please proceed with caution. Some of the reviewers have said that their cats ingested the shampoo and have died shortly after bath.
2. Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal for Dogs and Puppies. This shampoo is made for dogs with sensitive skin. It kills fleas and also smoothen your dog´s hair. However, it´s a mild shampoo. You may need several applications before you can totally eradicate fleas.
3. TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Shampoos for Dogs. This is a very powerful shampoo that kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes by contact. So if you want to slaughter the fleas and ticks in one go, this is the shampoo to go for.
Getting Rid of Lice
Lice are not as common as fleas, but are much harder to combat. It´s wise to clip the dog completely before starting the treatment.
In this case, the kerosene mixture is more effective. Increase the proportion of kerosene on your subsequent applications, provided the skin doesn´t react and becomes sore.
Best dog lice shampoo that kills eggs and lice
- NIX Ultra Shampoo Lice Treatment | Kills Super lice & Eggs | Includes Lice Removal Comb. This is a non-toxic lice shampoo for humans but it´s also safe to use for dogs.
- Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb, Professional Stainless Steel Louse and Nit Comb for Head Lice Treatment, Removes Nits. If you prefer to clip the dog´s hair entirely, you can follow-up by using a terminator lice comb. This will trap any left-over lice and eggs, and then you can kill them with you nails.
What´s your experience on getting rid of fleas, ticks and lice on dogs?